Thursday, May 24, 2007

Just Junk

Today is Thursday and to me it feels like a Friday.

Not such a good thing when I know that the alarm will go off tomorrow and I will have to drag my rear end out of bed for one more day of the grind.

One good thing is that we have a three day weekend and I have NO PLANS! YEAH!

I am just going to see what the weather brings and plan my activities around that.

I have a book to finish, a card swap to complete, gardening, laundry, house cleaning, grocery shopping and of course a trip to some craft store is ALWAYS in my weekend routine.

Last night I finished piecing together the baby sweater that I have been knitting in my class at the local yarn store (Woolly Lamb Yarn Studio in Chicago) and have the stitches on my needle to begin knitting the collar. I hope to complete this task before next Wednesday's class so that I can start on the side plackets where the buttons on one side and the buttonholes on the other will be. Then, it is on to a new project for me for the winter. Figure if I start it now perhaps it will be complete for the winter season.

Just got my craft fair application for my space at my high school alma mater's yearly craft fair. I have sent in my application and payment in hopes of securing the same space as last year down one of the busier hallways at the school. Just have to amass some crafty stuff to sell.

So far, my yard and neighborhood have been bug free (cicadas are what I'm talking about). Rick says that the forest doesn't show any signs of the lil' buggers either. I can't imagine what Harley and Gidget are going to think of those noisy creatures when they finally decide to unearth themselves.

I love the freedom of the summer but will be missing my usual tv shows.
Just watched the taped show of Grey's Anatomy this morning before work and I was very shocked and disappointed. George failed his intern exam, Merideth and Derek broke up, Christine and Preston didn't get married, Bailey didn't get the chief resident gig. WHA?????
It all seemed to end in a sad, bad way. Of course I'll tune in when the fall season kicks off but what a bummer of an season ender. Nothing but sadness for the main characters. I guess I need to get a life!!!

I was very happy to see that my indoor lipstick plant bloomed like crazy recently. The blooms are beginning to fall off but it was a spectacular display when they all were opening up. For those of you who want to know what a lipstick plant is, I will try to explain the best that I can since I don't own a digital camera to post on this blog. The plant itself has a maroon/green oval shaped leaf. Once, maybe twice a year it blooms. The flowers are in groups of four. First comes a dark burgundy upside down bell shaped "flower". From the inside of that bell comes a fuzzy red tube that looks alot like lipstick coming out of a tube. Once the "lipstick" is completely up out of the tube then the flower opens up to a 5 point red flower. Since these are gathered in groups of four you have four red flowers in groups all over the plant. It's really very pretty. I got this plant over 5 years ago and it has bloomed every year and it just amazes me. I don't know the real name of the plant, I bought it at Frank's Nursery & Crafts and the little tag on it said "lipstick plant".

I have vowed to get my fluffy arse to the gym at least three times a week and I am happy to report that last week I managed to get there 4 days and so far this week I have been there 2 days with tonight's proposed visit being my 3rd time. I want to get a firmer tighter body and I am not as consumed with weight loss. As the advent of shorts and swimsuits looms with the kick off of this Memorial Day weekend I just don't want to be "the great white whale" at the summer's cookouts. So, this means trips to the gym and a little bit of protected sun exposure. I'll keep this blog posted as to my progress which right now stands at the fact that I can do an hour of cardio without dying and I have begun to use some of the machines.

I also hope to use this blog as my personal "book club".
Currently I am reading a John Grisham novel entitled "The Last Juror".
Normally I LOVE his novels but this one is a bit slow. I love the "law" books and the way that Mr. Grisham weaves the law into the story. This one however, albeit good was not a fast read. The story moves but not as quickly as his other novels.
My suggestion, don't buy the hardcover, get it in paperback or use your local library for this one.
If there are any bloggers out there that would disagree with this critique I welcome a response.

Up in the list of novels to read will be Harry Potter, a couple of Janet Evanovich novels and I believe I have a few more John Grisham novels waiting.

The new couch hasn't arrived yet and as I type this it is my reminder to get out the paperwork and call to find out the status. I want to get the new couch, hang the pictures back up on the walls and start having friends over before the summer is over and the grind of school begins again. If you want to visit and have a nice cool one in the backyard just let me know my door is always open, the house isn't always clean and spotless but if you can live with it so can I.

That's it for now, I will update with gym observations and progress as well as the "book club" ramblings in the near future.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Got an application for ND this week too, forgot to tell ya.
What's a lipstick plant?
No cicadas around here either, Max has been pretty upset about it.

Crafty Connie said...

The lipstick plant is really just a plant that produces flowers that look like a tube of lipstick as they grow and right before they bloom. Really kinda wild and weird.