Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Trains & Planes

A few posts ago I mentioned that I had an overnight house-guest from England. Barry is a wonderful guest and has that fantastic British accent that I could listen to for hours.

The plan for yesterday was for my brother Rick to pick Barry up from the train station, bring him back to the house for a shower and a pizza and then drive him to the airport to catch his flight back to England.

Rough storms hit the area and whether that was the only factor I do not know. The train that was to arrive in Chicago from St. Louis at 2pm did not arrive until after 8:30pm. Barry missed his flight home and the best that the airline could do is book him on a flight that leaves Chicago at 9:15pm Friday night.

Here is something that I learned last night. Even though we speak the same language there are some differences in what things mean. Take for instance the word "pissed". To me and most reading this it would mean that you were angry or mad. To Barry, pissed means that the person is drunk or buzzed on liquor.

Interesting, huh?

So, maybe over the course of the next few days I will learn some other double meaning words.

Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: