Thursday, October 19, 2006

Busy Bee

Wow, time sure does fly when you are having fun, or in my case when you are crafting like crazy for upcoming craft fairs. I don't know about anyone else but I have a hard time trying to figure out what people would like to buy and at what price are they willing to buy.

I will preface this next entry with the fact that "I AM A PACK-RAT". It doesn't make it any easier that my brother who lives with me is also a pack-rat. So, you can imagine, that there is 21 years worth of "stuff" in the basement and most of it is mine.

This past Saturday I ventured down to the basement where the purging of mountains of Rubbermaid containers is still an ongoing event. With winter on its way, much too soon in my opinion, I realized that if I want to park in the garage again that I need to continue to dig through the stuff that is still in the basement and get that all squared away before I can start bringing the other Rubbermaid containers back into the house. I have come to realize that I currently have enough craft supplies to open a store in my basement. It doesn't help that I like to do a variety of different crafts, from sewing, knitting, crocheting, card-making, counted cross-stitch... which means that I have many supplies for all the different mediums. Along with all of the supplies come the containers with the decorations that I like to change for each month. I have purged a great deal of the snowmen that I usually put out during the month of January. I never realized as I was out and about shopping the after Christmas sales and such that I had accumulated 3 containers of snowmen. Geez, my house isn't big enough to hold all those guys. See what happens when organization goes amuck!! The containers and contents multiple until they begin to take over. Okay, okay, I know that's a tad bit melodramatic but I haven't fully fessed up to the fact that I was the one who purchased all of those snowmen. Hey, allow me some self denial, it took a long time to admit that I was a pack-rat. I am very happy to say that many of those snowmen and snowwomen have found good homes in my friends and co-workers homes. Now that the snowpeople are all squared away, on I went to other containers. So as I was sorting through and making the three piles as seen on those "neat" shows I was able to fill four garbage bags for the Salvation Army and a bag to the office and a smaller pile to keep. I also discovered a container of baby afghans leftover from previous craft fairs. I washed all of them last night (want to make sure that they are fresh for the customer) and took them out of the dryer and folded them this morning. Nice to have a little extra wares to sell as I was stressing that with three craft fairs this year that I wouldn't have enough made. I also found another container that had some more crafts and I will be bringing those out to the fairs with hopes of selling them. I hope that I will sell enough to cover the cost of the spaces and have some money left over to buy some Christmas presents.

Speaking of Christmas presents, and I know the next statement may elicit a collective groan, but I purchased my first Christmas present this past Saturday. I just ordered another one online this morning because I got an e-mail of a sale and took advantage of it. I get a small sense of happiness whenever I can mark someone off my list as having been completed.

Well, that's all that is new in my world. Work, crafting, school and sleep, not very exciting but it's the truth.

Have a good day!!!

No comments: