Monday, January 15, 2007

I Did It

Yes, I did it. I cut my long hair to shoulder length. Drastic change and I must admit that I was a bit freaked out on Saturday afternoon after the deed was done.

I like the haircut and will have fun experimenting with what can be done with various products and a blow dryer.

I didn't care for the service.

I ended up making my appointment on Friday at lunch at a salon that is in the same strip mall where I get my manicures and this is where my cousin Fran has her hair done. So I drove the short distance from work to make an appointment during my lunch hour on Friday. Fran's stylist wasn't working and will be off for awile to recuperate from a car accident. I knew that if I didn't make an appt. now while I had the nerve to cut my hair that I wouldn't do it so I went with a different stylist. My stylist wasn't working at the time that I made my appt. so we both met when I showed up for my appt. on Saturday afternoon.

I had a picture of a cut that I wanted and left it with the owner on Friday. My stylist had the picture and didn't ask me any questions. She is young and I don't think that she has learned the nature of tactful conversation, because here are some of the things that I was told/asked during my hair cutting experience.

"Do you color your own hair?" " Yes" I have been coloring my hair for many years now, sometimes it was done professionally but most of the time it was a box from the store and my bathroom.

"Do you cut your own bangs?" "Yes" Since my hair was all one length with bangs the only thing that I did regularly cut were my bangs. I knew that I didn't do the "professional" cut but they styled well and I felt that they didn't look that bad. Apparently, I was mistaken.

"Your hair is green" Yes, the stylist proceeded to tell me that a patch of hair that, to me, just looked like a lighter brown color due to the fact that the hair underneath was gray and the dye was beginning to wear off. In her opinion it was green, and in the harsh florescent light at the right angle you could imagine it was green. Either way you would have thought that I had walked into the salon with a screaming head of kelly green hair all ready for St. Patrick's Day.

"Your hair color is uneven, you really should address that problem. See here, the back and bottom are not the same color" Well, since I usually only dyed the root outgrowth and didn't pull it down into the lower part of my hair to help prevent the damage from coloring, yes there was a bit of color difference.

"Your hair color is much too harsh for your coloring", Hmm, that one she will have to take up with God because the color that I have been dying my hair is what was my natural hair color all my life.

"Please don't ever cut your bangs, I'm having a hard time fixing them" Again, like I said, I couldn't see spending money on an easy trim.

Now, in defense of my stylist I am going to admit that I was very FREAKED OUT when she began the cut by taking all of my hair and holding it just below my shoulder and WHACKING it all off in one full swoop, and throwing it down on the floor. I have to admit that the remainder of the time in the chair I was a bit timid and didn't talk much (unusual for me). The fact that I have had very long hair for the last 15+ years and it was all sitting on the floor made me very scared, timid, defensive....

The last thing that made the experience a bit undaunting was the fact that I walked out of there with a Marlo Thomas "That Girl" flip at the ends of my hair. YUCK!!!!

So you have allowed my to tell of the icky parts of my experience and now I will end on the good, positive aspects of my hair cut.

The owner of the shop is GREAT!
Very personable, very welcoming and not at all critical of who cut or what you did to your hair prior to your arrival at her shop. If she was a stylist I would be going to her.
The cut is cute.
I can put it into a pony tail which was the only instruction that I gave my stylist. (If I had known that she was going to layer the back on my hair I would have told her no. I didn't know that a bob had layering in the back).
My hair is very curly now that the weight has been removed. I don't remember this much curl or waves in my hair. This morning all I did was wash it, dry my bangs, put some mousse in the remainder of my hair and scrunch and out the door. A great thing because my biggest fear on getting my hair cut was the whole styling thing. I didn't want to have to spend alot of time "primping" my hair before going out.
Reasonable price.
The cost of the shampoo, cut and blow dry was $30.00

I am going back this Saturday for a color. (She is going to "pull out" the current color and add a more warm, subtle brown).
I am going to give the stylist the benefit of the doubt that I was just super sensitive because of the shock of seeing all my hair on the floor. My stylist from the haircut is going to do the color. (After all, my color is uneven as she so kindly informed me more than once).
If I have the same bad vibes or that feeling that we are just not "clicking" then I will go to the stylist that Fran goes to or if she isn't available I'll try another stylist.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you are going back to that chick, my girl never scolds me for cutting my own hair, ever.
But then again, I pay $45 for a cut and style.
Canit wait to see the new style.

oceansidecindy said...

As I sat here reading this today, I had flashbacks of the conversation I had with my sister, yes, Connie is my sister, about some girl in a class of hers a couple of years ago that actually told Connie in the classroom that her hair was "Green". So now with humor I can say she must have been right if someone else also thought her hair was green. I know it took Connie a lot of courage to actually go and have her hair cut. She has always wanted to have her hair long for all kind of reasons. Being the "I like my hair short sister," I just never could get into the long hair, sexy thing..It makes me laugh to know as scary as it was for Connie to make the cut she can see the humor in it too.