Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Barbie vs. The Bratz

Having no children (of the two legged variety) of my own I take great pleasure in participating in the Chicago Sun-Times Secret Santa program. My sister Cindy and I started doing this about 4 years ago (this being the 4th year) and I love going out to buy toys. This year I have two first grade girls. The letter that I received from Cortney said that she would like a Barbie doll and the letter from Miranda said that she wanted a Bratz doll. Armed with this information I went to the local Big Lots store, because for this type of purchase I find that I can get the most bang for my buck.

Now I grew up with Barbie, so I am biased. I was shocked at the appearance of the Bratz dolls. They are all made up and dressed pretty sleazy. Now I know Barbie has some pretty skimpy outfits designed to show off her "perfect" curves, but her hair and make-up don't make her look like a hoochie momma.

The last thing that creeped me out about the Bratz girls were the way that the shoes are changed. Now Barbie's footwear can be a bit, I know this is not the correct word, messy. Because her shoes are small and do occasionally come off they are prone to getting lost, stepped on, eaten by the dog... But there is an alternative, let Barbie go barefoot. The Bratz on the other hand change their shoes by removing their feet at the ankle. Yup, the Bratz have removable feet. Sure, their shoes are always on, but what happens when someone loses a foot? Yikes, to have no feet in the event of loss, being eaten by a dog...HOLY CANNOLI!!!

So, even though I feel totally opposed to the gift of a Bratz doll for my Secret Santa girl, it was the ONLY thing in her letter and I don't want my repulsion of her choice be the reason that "Santa" doesn't bring her the doll she requested. Even the check out woman at the store was hesitant to put Barbie in with the Bratz girl for fear that Barbie would be corrupted.

So see, I'm not the only one with that opinion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Everytime I see anything "Bratz" I am horrified!
Hope Barbie took a shower after her ride in the same bag.