Thursday, December 07, 2006

Not a Good Investor

The investment game that we were playing online for my Finance class has ended. It's a good thing that I am not a finance major, or worse, an investment advisor.

I ended up 10th out of 18. Stink Boy was 9th!!! That killed me that he ended up ahead of me, but that's my problem to deal with. There were more than 18 in our class, but they decided not to play.

At the beginning of the term our Professor set up a game at a website called "Virtual Stock Exchange". We were all given $50,000.00 to invest as we wanted. Each time we traded (you could make as many transactions during that one trade, buying and selling) a charge of $29.95 was deducted from your money.

As you can see from my ranking I wasn't that great in the whole investment game, but I did end up with more than the original $50,000.00. There were a few who lost the original investment amount. It was a good chance to play the stock market and not lose any real money. I found that I didn't like investing in the companies that I had a personal feeling about. Say, Haliburton for example. That stock made money most of the time, I however do not agree with the fact that they get no bid contracts from our government and so I wouldn't invest. So with that said, it's a good thing that I don't invest in the market for real and that I don't advise those that do either. I guess to make the most money you need to keep your feelings in check.

I have this same Professor for my next course which is an accounting class. I hope that we cover something that would enable him to let the new class play this game. It was fun!

No comments: